Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Best Breadsticks

BEST BREADSTICKS AND PIZZA DOUGH


Salty, crunchy, buttery, chewy.........

I have been using a pizza dough recipe that I got from Bon Appetite magazine.  It has been really good and I keep modifying it to fit my time schedule.  The original recipe called for-

7 1/2 cups flour
4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. yeast (I use SAF yeast)
3 cups water

They said to raise this 18 hours, shape into pizza's and cook on a hot pizza stone at 500 degrees for 10 minutes.

I discovered that I could use about half the flour and adjust the yeast and make two pizza's worth of dough much quicker.

FOR ONE HOUR PIZZA DOUGH-

4 cups bread flour
2 tsp salt
1 TBS SAF yeast
2 cups water, or enough to make a soft dough

Let raise one hour and bake at 500 degrees for 10 minutes

FOR GREAT BREADSTICKS-

4 cups bread flour
2 tsp salt 
1 1/2 tsp SAF yeast
2 cups warm water, plus a little more if dry to make a soft dough

Let this dough raise about four hours in an olive oil greased bowl.  Dough will be covered with small bubbles.  Sprinkle with flour until easy to handle and gather in a ball and split in half.  Roll out each half of dough on a greased pan, adding flour as needed so it doesn't stick.  Cut the dough rectangle into bread sticks with pizza cutter.  Brush sticks with 1/2 cup butter mixed with 1 TBS Johnny's garlic spread. Let raise 30 minutes, while preheating the oven to 500 degrees.  Cook for 10 minutes.  Remove from oven and brush with remaining garlic butter. Cool on a rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment