Tuesday, August 30, 2011

More "Pride and Prejudice" !

I learned from from a friend that other authors had written books about the Pride and Prejudice characters, using a style similar to Jane Austen.  I asked for one of these author's names and she tried to remember one author off the top of her head. When I looked this author up on the library system the only author with a name similar to this that I could find had written a book with a subtittle "Love in the thick of sex, drugs, pornography and prostitution".  OH MY!  (I knew I had heard the name wrong!) Then I searched on google for "Books like Pride and Prejudice" and found the author Joan Aiken and several others at this web site- http://www.tulsalibrary.org/booksandreading/subjects/08-jane_austen.php

The first one I read was "The Watson's & Emma Watson".  Jane Austen left the unfinished novel "The Watsons" and Joan Aiken had finished it.  I like the second part of the book better than the first.  There were parts I thought Jane Austen would not have written in the first part...it turned out the first part was the only part she had written!  This book had none of the Pride and Prejudice characters in it, but it was set in the same time period.  It is interesting, but not as fun as my next book.

Now I am reading "Pride and Prescience" by Carrie Bebris.  This book has exaclty the same characters as Pride and Prejudice and starts off right after Elizabeth and Darcy are married.  There is a mystery that happens as they start on their honeymoon.  I have really enjoyed the book so far and think that the dialog between the characters is very acurate and entertaining.  I'm only on page 70, so I will have to report on the whole book in a day or two.

(One week later)....So, now I have read all of the above book, plus several others on the "If you enjoy Jane Austen" list from the website above, and the "Pride and Prescience" book ended very strangely.  "Permberly" was not very well done either, from my point of view. I think my favorite author so far is Joan Aiken. She wrote the "Emma Watson" and "Mansfield  Revisited" which so far is my favorite.  I just returned home from the library with four more books such as "Darcy's Daughters" and "Darcy's Story" so I will read those and see if those are worth recommending.

No comments:

Post a Comment