Monday, July 11, 2011

Perfect Pancakes and Panini presses

My Hamilton Beach Panini Press just died after only 18 months  for no apparent reason.  Hamilton Beach was no help, only offered to let me buy a new one at a five dollar discount.  I found this Cuisinart Griddler which is a grill, panini press, and skillet, with a temperature control for 39.99 with 10.00 off at Costco.  Much better and less expensive than the Hamilton Beach Product.  We love the quick panini sandwiches that are fast for a quick dinner when you are in a hurry.  This will also grill chicken, hamburgers, or make pancakes.  I think the college kids need one!  Megan do you want it for your birthday?
I also really liked the pancake recipe in the cookbook.  I have tried to find a recipe that tastes like restaurant pancakes without success.  But these pancakes are better.  They are very light but have this thin crispy outside and very good taste and they heat up really well in the toaster the next day.  I use buttermilk instead of the milk, either will work.
Pancakes from scratch
2 large eggs
1 cup milk, or buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cup flour (I used bread flour)
Tablespoon baking powder
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 Teaspoon salt (Not Tablespoon!)
2 Tablespoons melted butter cooled
Put eggs, milk, and vanilla in a bowl and whisk to blend.  Combine flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in another bowl, whisk to blend, and add to to milk egg mixture stir just until blended and add the melted butter do not over mix.  Cook 1/4 cup batter until bubbles form, flip and cook until done. keep warm on a wire rack placed on a cookie sheet in the oven heated to 200 degrees until ready to eat.  Calories 160 for 2 pancakes.



No comments:

Post a Comment