Friday, September 9, 2011

Twice baked Shortbread from "Pure Dessert"

In an earlier post last month I gave the lemon bar recipe from "Pure Dessert".  I wanted to try the shortbread because I love shortbread and I'm part Scottish.  I love this book because the desserts have a very intense flavor and the calories are really worth eating.  In the beginning of the book Alice gives cooking techniques that she has learned in cooking schools and as she has studied with various chefs.  She says the french have a phrase mise en place that means "put in place".  Professional chefs could not survive without their "mise" she says.  What this means is that all the ingredients for a recipe are measured out in advance and sitting ready to go into the recipe before you start.  Just like on TV when a chef is making something.  I always assumed that they had everything premeasured just to make it go faster and be less time consuming during filming.  So, I tried this technique when I made the shortbread.  There were only four ingredients so it seemed like it wouldn't make a difference.  (I used salted butter, so I didn't add the 5th ingredient which was salt)  I noticed however that it was so much better to pay attention to what I was doing.  I measured the ingredients more carefully and then paid close attention to how they came together.  It was a more enjoyable way to cook because it seemed like a slave had already prepared things for me.  Of course I was my own slave, and did all the dishes afterwards....but while I was cooking I felt great!  I also measured the flour by weight because she says that can make a big difference in how a recipe turns out.  If you don't weigh the flour then she says to scoop it loosely in the cup and level it off with a knife in the measuring cup.  I first did this and then weighed the flour and it was about 1 oz over what it should had been.


No comments:

Post a Comment