Saturday, June 11, 2011

Apple pie filling

 Apple Pie Filling

Even before I was married I learned to can fruit because I lived at home in Provo, Utah not far from the Allred's Peach and apple stand on University Ave..  I canned peaches, pears, and even made homemade chili sauce and pickles.  I had read the book "Brigham Young at Home" and I think I really wanted to be a pioneer at heart.

After I was married I ordered a huge box of apples with a Ward food storage program and then I had to figure out how to preserve them.  I found this recipe and it has been so good I haven't tried anything else.

I made the recipe smaller so you could use it to cook up 4-5 apples to make a single pie or cobbler.


Small recipe-
1 cup sugar, 1/4 cup flour, 1 tsp cinnamon, pinch of nutmeg, 1/4 tsp salt, 1 1/2 cups water or apple juice, 2 tsp lemon, 4-5 apples peeled and sliced.  Stir these together and bring to a boil
stir constantly until thick and apples are soft.  Use for pie, cobbler, or just pour over ice cream. You might not need all the sauce for a pie.  You could keep the sauce to serve separately and to pour over the pie slices and ice cream..
In Scottsdale, Arizona where I grew up there is a place called Mag's Ham buns.  It served famous thick ham sandwiches on buns and they also had great apple pie with cinnamon sauce similar to this sauce.  On the wall there was this poem-
Apple Pie without some cheese
Is like a kiss without a squeeze.
They served hot apple pie with melted cheese on top with cinnamon sauce and ice cream.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment