Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Favorite roll recipe



This is my favorite roll recipe-

Quick rolls

2 yeast pkgs. or 5 tsps. yeast
1/2 cup warm water
1 T. sugar
1 cup milk
1/4 cup butter
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
3 1/2- 4 cups flour
Dissolve yeast in the warm water with the 1T. sugar, it will foam up in about 5 minutes, use a big cup to allow for it to foam up. (If it doesn't foam and grow the water was too hot and you killed it!)  Scald the milk, I microwave it for 90 seconds.  Add the butter to the milk to melt it.  I cut it into little pieces to make it melt faster. Pour milk and butter into a large bowl, when cooled a bit, (so it doesn't kill the yeast), mix in sugar, beaten eggs, and dissolved yeast.  Stir in the remaining flour until dough is thick but still very soft. (See in the picture above) This makes light fluffy rolls, but it can be a little harder to work with unless you flour your hands well later when you are working with it. Put the dough in a large greased bowl and place in a warm area for 1 hour.  If you use SAF yeast it will rise in only take 1/2 hour.

When it has risen, take baseball size balls of dough and flatten them out in some flour so they don't stick.  Make a flat round shape 1/2 inch thick and cut it into wedges and roll them up like in the picture.  I use a pizza cutter to cut the dough. Put them on a greased cookie sheet.

Let the rolls rise again for 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
Bake at 350 degrees for 12-20 minutes.  Mine take about 14 minutes.  Makes about 2 dozen rolls. 

I usually double the recipe and it works well.  I don't use my mixer because the dough is so soft.  I just use a wooden spoon.


                                                             


















No comments:

Post a Comment